Thank you for your interest in PSIA-E Education Foundation scholarships. The PSIA-E Education Foundation provides support to members in their endeavors to further their education and certification.
The scholarship application is an online application that is available only while the application period is open. Scholarship application period begins when the preview of schedule is released in early September through the application deadline. The deadline for 16/17 season consideration is October 7, 2016.
Each season, the PSIA-E Education Foundation makes scholarships available to members who wish to further their education or certification status within PSIA-E, PSIA and AASI. The training that members receive as a result of the scholarship program increases their productivity and value as a member and as an instructor in their particular snowsports school.
Following are the different types of scholarships available:
The Membership Scholarship is open to members of all disciplines and certification status. This scholarship can be used for all PSIA-E, PSIA, and AASI educational and certification events. Thanks to the generous support of sponsors and members via donations of items and dollars for our “super raffles” each season, this fund now has a balance of over $24,000. One-third of that balance (approximately $8,000) is available for scholarships this coming season.
Professional Development Scholarship for Level I Members
This is a designated “Professional Development Scholarship for Level I Members” that earmarks 20% of the existing available Member Scholarship funds (approximately $1,600) for Level I members to use specifically for Level II prerequisite courses and practice exams in prep for taking their Level II exams. If you are looking to prepare for your Level II exam this coming season this is the scholarship for you!
Terry Fund Scholarship
The Terry Fund Scholarship is designated for members of all disciplines with at least a Level I certification status who desire to further their education in the area of snowsports instruction for children. This includes all PSIA-E, PSIA, and AASI educational events that specialize in children snowsports.
James Leader Memorial Scholarship
The James Leader Memorial Scholarship is open to members of all disciplines and certification status who desire to further their education in snowsports instruction. Applicants must be a member of PSIA/AASI – Eastern Division, with first priority given to employees of the Killington Snowsport School. Second priority will be given to members from Region 2 (Vermont), and the remainder available to all members of PSIA/AASI – Eastern Division. The James Leader Memorial Scholarship has a separate application form and different criteria from other scholarships (e.g. member at least one year, requires a letter from your snowsports school). $1,000 is available for awarding each season.
CE Burbridge Memorial Scholarship
The CE Burbridge Memorial Scholarship is open to members of all disciplines and certification status who desire to further their education in adaptive snowsports instruction. This includes all PSIA-E, PSIA, and AASI educational events that specialize in adaptive snowsports. The fund supports both the subsidy of Adaptive consulting programs and $500 in individual scholarships each season.
Education Staff Scholarship
This scholarship is open to any member of the Board of Examiners, ETS, Development Team or the Divisional Clinic Leader squad. This scholarship is designed to help individuals in these groups to expand their knowledge and skills beyond regular training sessions, or to gain expertise in another discipline/specialty. This scholarship allows members of these groups to serve and educate PSIA/AASI – Eastern Division members more effectively. Approximately $2,000 is available for awarding this season.
William Hetrick Editorial Scholarship
The William Hetrick Editorial Scholarship was created in June of 2011 to provide a long-term legacy for Bill Hetrick and recognize his passion for both snowsports and writing about snowsports and the mountain experience. It will be an annual program that awards five (5) scholarships in the amount of $200 in education “dollars” that recipients may use to register for PSIA-AASI education events. The scholarships will be awarded to contributors to the SnowPro and judged by an editorial review group that will read and evaluate submissions made to the Your Turn and Guest Editorial sections of the SnowPro each season.
How to apply for the other Education Foundation scholarships:
- ONLINE PSIA-E/AASI
- When the schedule comes out, choose an event and complete the entire scholarship application and submit it online – no later than the October 7, 2016 deadline.
- You will receive an immediate e-mail confirmation, to confirm your scholarship application has been received.
- The Scholarship Committee will review and evaluate applications at the October Board of Directors meeting. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by e-mail and by mail, usually in early November.
- You must register (by the event deadline) for the event by completing and submitting an Event Application. You should apply well before the event deadline, and include full payment if you have not been informed of a scholarship award (i.e. for early season events/events that have limited attendance and may fill up quickly), to ensure your place in the event. If you have received written notice of your scholarship, please indicate that on your event application. Anyone paying for an event and then awarded a scholarship will receive a refund in the amount of the scholarship following attendance at the event. Scholarship awards may be for partial or full event fee of an event. Please be aware that the number of applications always exceeds the available funding, so not all applicants can be awarded a scholarship.
- Applicants who are awarded a scholarship are encouraged to write an article relative to their event experience, or to relate how information gained from the event is being utilized. Submit the article, by e-mail if possible, to the PSIA-E office at: email@example.com. Articles should be submitted within a month of the scholarship event, if possible. A limited number of scholarship articles will be selected for publication in the SnowPro newsletter.
Thank you for your interest in continuing your snowsports education, and good luck!